Thursday 14 November 2013

Blog One - 2012



Blog One - Dec 2012

My name is Chris Oddy and I'm from Leeds in the United Kingdom. I am 45 years old and interested in Big History. Though I do not come from an academic background I think I could add something to the Big History Project.

This is how I clumsily introduced myself to the historian, David Christian, a Big History pioneer. I spoke via an email sent to the other side of the world in Australia, which he promptly replied to. 

Even though he is a very busy man working with both Macquarie University & the Big History Project he still found time to contact me. I must admit I thought he wouldn't reply but I was happily proved wrong. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Christian_(historian)

I have an interest in Big History and I would love other people not necessarily aware of it to be introduced to this subject. It is a multi-disciplined approach to Science and History, an origin story from the Big Bang to now and on to the future.


David Christian sent me a few links to look at :-

'You'll get a much better idea of what we're doing if you go to
http://www.thegatesnotes.com/GatesNotesV2/Topics/Education/Big-History-Project-Announcing-Educator-Beta 
or to bighistoryproject.com 
or even to ibhanet.org .'


I also think that Big History belongs to everyone, it is that important. 

One thought I have, is to take it out to the community. For instance, coming from Leeds, we have Astronomy Societies, a Geology Association and The Thoresby Society - (Leeds Historical Society). Not to mention The Philosophical and Literary Society among many other different local organisations which all would fit under the Big History umbrella.

I like the idea of more depth, utilising existing organisations (and possibly creating others where none exist). Holding a regular series of lectures over a period of time at the same venue promoting Big History and incorporating the sciences within it.

As well as a global view it would also incorporate a national and local view. 

Then within Leeds it could be taken to the smaller communities with histories of their own. For instance Otley Town has its own history and community and fits like a jigsaw piece into the Leeds complexity. 

Could you imagine every metropolitan district and the cities, towns, villages and hamlets within discussing their geological and archaeological history, the planets forever changing climate and pondering where we go from here. 

Well they do and wouldn't it be nice to bring them all together under one big family umbrella.


Anyway, enjoy the festive period and have a great 2013.


Chris Oddy

No comments:

Post a Comment